Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Teaching is Hard!
I would love to find a job that wasn't so personal. I think it's hilarious when you have had a bad day teaching and when you are talking to people, they respond with, "it's just a job, don't take it personally." Really? It is personal. That's why teachers teach. It's personal! Go conference with a parent sometime and say, "Don't take this personal, but your kid isn't performing." I dare you to say that to a parent!! They will take that personal. They should! It's their kid you're judging! We chose this job because of the personal. It's because we don't want to sit behind a desk filling out paper work. We love to learn and try new things and be driven to work harder. However, with all of the rewards of learning and the love you feel from the kids, there is so much heartbreak for teachers. When a kid says they are happy to not be in your room anymore because you are "mean," your heart breaks. I don't care what people say, it breaks and hurts. Someone telling you that doesn't make you laugh. It's not funny. It hurts. I know I'm strict, I've accepted that. I know I push my kids. I've accepted that. But it still hurts when little kids don't like you. It's not the same as wanting to be liked by your friends when you were in school. It's striving to be one of those teachers that kids want to work for, it's wanting to be one of those teachers that kids would do anything for without you even trying to get them to do anything for you. How do I become one of those teachers? I want to be one of those teachers! I wish I was like my dad. He teaches and his kids look up to him. When I was in school my friends looked at my dad like their own father. I have friends that still call my dad for advice. He is one of those teachers. He doesn't try to be. He just is. He is respected and kids want to work for him. Even when they are arguing with them kids would say I hate your dad right now, because he's right. I just want him to not be mad at me. REALLY!?! How does that work? Why can't I be like that? Is it something you can learn....or does it just come naturally like singing? Everyone does it, but only a very few actually should do it in public.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment